I have often said that I am a simple person. Some people may disagree with that statement, but I feel it to be the core of who I am. I may sometimes seem complicated or hard to understand, but the reasons behind my actions are usually incredibly simple. I don’t know if my simpleness stems from autism or simply from my personality, but I guess you can decide what you think about it.
So, how am I simple?
1. I have simple pleasures.
- I like soft things. I like the feel of a fluffy blanket after a rough day. I like hugging a teddy bear or a pillow. I like running my fingers through the soft fibers of things around me.
- I like food (most of the time). I like the feeling of chewing. I like the sensations of sweetness and crunchiness. I like the smell of my favorite meals or the ripeness of a beautiful fruit.
- I like beautiful things. I like watching the sunset or picking shapes out of clouds or examining the flight path of a bird. I like seeing the budding of a flower or noticing the patterns in my skin.
- I like being alive. I like the feeling of relaxing and breathing deeply. I like hearing the beating of my heart or feeling the flow of blood in my veins. I like feeling the movement of my legs pumping as I run or the bounce in my stride when I walk.
2. I’m not really a deep person. I just see things in the world around me that others may not notice.
- I notice the beauty of nature and comment on how it reminds me that God is the greatest artist to ever live.
- I notice connections between shapes and patterns and facts of life.
- I understand the pain and the hurt and emotions of others because I recognize them from having those feelings myself.
3. I’m straightforward and simple in how I say things.
- I write my insights in a simple way and my poetry is straightforward and easy to understand.
- I’m not good at being abstract and I tend to answer questions directly rather than jumping around the topic.
- I’m not good at telling white lies and generally tell people what I really think when they ask me something.
4. I simply express my emotions.
- When I’m sad, I don’t pretend to be happy. I may not want people to know I’m sad but I don’t pretend to be something I’m not.
- When I’m frustrated, it’s pretty obvious that I’m having a rough time.
- When I’m happy, I can’t help smiling and laughing.
5. I’m still a kid at heart.
- I still like to play and have fun.
- I like listening and singing to children’s songs and and watching animated movies.
- I like spending time with my family and friends as often as possible.
I don’t know if me being simple is a good thing or not, but I like being simple. I think I’m a pretty easy person to read and I wish I could read others more easily so I could understand them better. Maybe if we were all simple people we could understand each other more and be more accepting of differences. I think sometimes people may get frustrated with my straightforwardness or that I show my frustrations with meaningless things, but it’s who I am and I wouldn’t change it for the world.